The Kentucky Board of Nursing accepts courses from CE Leaders. CE Leaders is an approved provider through CE Broker with Provider Number (#50-33450). CE Leaders will electronically report successful completed courses to CE Broker.
RNs and LPNs must complete 14 contact hours of continuing education every year. RNs and LPNs who hold an active license on July 1, 2022, must complete at least 2 hours in suicide prevention (1-time only) and at least 1.5 hours in implicit bias (1-time only) by July 1, 2023. For licenses issued after July 1, 2022, the suicide prevention and implicit bias requirements must be satisified within 3 years of licensure.
RNs and LPNs continuing education/competency may be completed using 1 of the following options (options CANNOT be combined):
• Proof of earning 14 approved contact hours; OR
• Proof of earning 7 approved contact hours, PLUS a nursing employment evaluation that is satisfactory for continued employment. A KBN Nursing Continuing Education Employment Evaluation Form completed and signed by the nurse’s supervisor or employer, which covers at least 6 months of the earning period (November 1 – October 31) is required. The KBN Nursing Continuing Education Employment Evaluation Form is available in the document library ; OR
• Current national certification or recertification related to the nurse’s practice role in effect during the entire period, or initially earned or renewed during the period (does not include clinical certifications such as ACLS, PALS, NRP, etc…); OR
• Successful completion of a postlicensure academic course at a college, university, or postsecondary vocational institution. Must be relevant to nursing practice (e.g. nursing course designated by a nursing course number and beyond the prelicensure curriculum) OR an academic course applicable to the nurse’s role and beyond the prelicensure curriculum. The course must have been completed during the earning period with an awarded grade of “C” or better, or a grade of “pass” on a pass-fail grading system. Calculation of contact hours: 1 semester or trimester hour of academic credit = 15 contact hours; 1 quarter hour of academic credit = 12 contact hours. May request course review for approval of applicable nursing content pursuant to • 201 KAR 20:215 Section 7; OR
• Participation as a preceptor for at least 1 nursing student or new employee. Must be for at least 120 hours, have a 1-to-1 relationship with student or employee, may precept more than 1 student during the 120 hours. Preceptorship shall be evidenced by submission of the KBN Preceptor Continuing Education Verification form completed by the educational institution or preceptor’s supervisor; The KBN Preceptor Continuing Education Form is available in the document library; OR
Publication of an article in a peer-reviewed, health-related journal; OR
• A nursing continuing education presentation that is designed and developed by the presenter, presented to nurses or other health professionals, is evidenced by a program brochure, course syllabi, or a letter from the offering provider identifying the licensee as the presenter of the offering; and offered by a provider approved pursuant to 201 KAR 20:220. The number of contact hours earned shall be twice the number of contact hours offered to presentation attendees; OR
• Completion of a nursing research project as principal investigator, coinvestigator, or project director. Must be qualitative or quantitative in nature; utilize research methodology, and increases knowledge resulting in improved outcomes or changes in behavior. Submission must include a project abstract and a summary of the findings.
*Check with the Kentucky Board of Nursing if you have any questions about the CE requirements in Kentucky.